Storage Buckets, Browser Extensions and 911 with 3CX Update 5 AlphaMike Evanisko
3CX Update 5 Alpha includes a bucket load of features! Store your backups and archived recordings in Google Storage Buckets. Improve compliance with US Emergency Service Rules, with 3CX’s new emergency number options. Manage calls directly from your desktop, with the 3CX Chrome Extension now available for Edge (Chromium). Read on for more features and improvements.
Put Google Storage on Your Bucket List
Update 5 Alpha now adds Google Storage Buckets to the supported options for storing backups and archiving recordings. Take advantage of the online storage options on the Google Cloud Platform. Our easy-to-follow guide will help you add reliable and cost-efficient storage buckets under your Google Cloud accounts, and use them for backups and/or archived recordings.
911 Emergency Response Unit
Responding to recent changes to emergency service rules in the US and the EU, Update 5 Alpha introduces Emergency Number options to assist with compliance. The new rules require that emergency response centers automatically receive critical information for calls made to emergency numbers. Configure 3CX to:
- Add and manage local emergency numbers with extension/group filtering options and designated SIP trunk routes.
- Add a custom message template for chat/email notifications to use when an emergency response number is dialed.
- Set email, chat and audio notification options for group managers or a specific ring group.
Calls Pop Up at the “Edge” of Your screen
Following the 3CX Chrome Extension introduced in Update 4, the 3CX Browser Extension for Edge (Chromium) is now being released. Make and receive calls, literally from the “edge” of your screen. No need to open the Web Client or even have the browser active. The 3CX Browser Extension is fully functional within a minimalistic browser window, for managing calls directly. Any incoming call alerts will pop up on the side, allowing you to keep focusing on the window you are in – be it Office365, CRM, Email or more.
An updated Chrome Extension will be released in sync with Update 5 Final.
- Maintenance updates to PBX core internals to support the upcoming new version of the iOS app with the new Apple Push Notification service. The new service requires HTTP/2 and is compatible with Linux, Windows 10, Server 2016 and later versions.
- Web Client now uses the latest Chat API, taking advantage of the relevant server-side performance optimizations and improvements.
- Enhanced Management Console security by setting session timeout to 1 hour of inactivity.
- The Live Chat and Talk plugin includes options for displaying a typing indicator and actual operator names.
How To Upgrade
Click on “Updates” in the Management Console’s Dashboard, select “v16 Update 5 Alpha” and click on “Download Selected” to install this update on your PBX.
Alternatively, you can get v16 Update 5 Alpha for Windows or Linux:
- Windows: 3CX v16 Update 5 Alpha.
- Linux: 3CX v16 on Debian 9 ISO – choose “Beta” on the “3CX Update Channel” screen.
View the changelog for this version.
⚠ Important: The Alpha version can be installed only for evaluation purposes and is not recommended for production systems. This version is not covered by any support SLA.